2011-10-25

review: ZPacks Zero cuben fiber 24 liter backpack



Between 2011 July and 2011 September, my partner and I did a 3 300km bicycle tour of southern France. The below is a review of products that we used during that tour.

Using a backpack is, for most cyclotourists, a prima facie bad idea. The accounts of those who have tried, including my partner, end with the tourer buying panniers at the earliest opportunity. After several long training rides with a light pack, though, I decided to give it a go, but only so long as I could keep the weight of my base gear below 4kg. After repeated applications of an increasingly deep scalpel, the total weight of my gear (including the backpack itself) was 3,15kg.  I usually had 300g of food with me and, on a day above 300° K, an additional 2kg in water (on cooler days I carried 1,5 liters). So long as the base weight + food & water added up to less than 6kg, I could go all day without discomfort. Besides the light weight, using a backpack enabled me to enjoy a bicycle without changed steering or climbing characteristics.

The ZPacks Zero backpack is made from 50g/square meter cuben fiber. I had the company add a water sleeve and shock cord lashing and reduce the size a bit (see below). The total weight was 95g. The water sleeve was great to have despite the additional 9g. My 2,5 liter bag was a tight fit when I put over 2 liters in it, but with enough patience I could always squeeze it in. I eventually sent the shock cord back to the US -- I rarely used it. Unfortunately, I didn't think to seam seal my pack before I left, so it was nearly useless in a hard rain. The straps were on-the-fly adjustable and the padding was excellent. I didn't have ZPacks add any support straps

Though it is not such a fan of chafing, cuben fiber, a polyethylene filament buttressed by cross fibers of other esters (Kevlar, Vectran, Zylon, carbon), is very tough. This is the material of choice for the weight weenie with an unlimited budget, a limited conscience (who knows the environmental consequences of a material like this?), and/or a need to save his/her back from undue stress. I prefer to think myself in the latter-most category but the middle-most is more like it. Certainly not the former-most. Cuben fiber is water proof (but needs to be seam sealed) and not breathable. This made for a sweaty back, but even my ultra-breathable REI Stoke backpack, which has a breathless combination of breathable design and material, isn't much better.

I requested that ZPacks make the pack a bit less tall than the standard model. This was to avoid the backpack hitting the back of my helmet, an annoyance similar in effect to severe tooth pain or kidney stones, and because I did not need the extra room. Still, this pack held 24 liters, of which I used 16 liters for base gear. Even with 2 liters of water and a liter of food I had plenty of room left over. The material color I chose -- white -- was actually semi-translucent. This made finding gear much easier. And it made the backpack a hot-house. Any meltables melted. No chocolate in this bag!

ZPacks was a champ to deal with. They customized the pack and, when the seamstress made a small error, offered to make another one. I felt guilty enough as it was using cuben fiber, so I told them not to bother and, anyway, I have yet to find the error. Whatever the error, it certainly didn't affect the functioning or look of the pack.

At no extra charge and despite it being my fault, ZPacks expedited shipping so that it would arrive before we flew out. It arrived the day before we jetted off, which could have been disastrous if my little experiment with touring by back-pack hadn't worked. It did work, though, and the incredibly light weight of cuben fiber coupled with the flexibility and excellent workmanship of ZPacks made it so.