2011-10-09

My Summer Vacation


Between 2011 July and 2011 September, my partner and I did a 3 300km bicycle tour of southern France. The below is a review of a product that we used during that tour.

Though the impetus for our tour of southern France was to watch the Alpesian stages of the Tour de France and to see as much of France as we could in the preceding and following days, this tour was also an experiment. For no other reason than aesthetics, I wanted the lightest and most compact set-up I could afford.

Because I made many of my decisions in the final days before we left, what I came up with was mostly untested when we arrived in Lyon. I had never set up the tent, much less seen if two people could sleep in it. I had never used the sleeping bag outdoors. Much of the clothing was so untested that I didn't know its temperature limits. Other vital items I had barely taken out of their packaging, including the pump, multi-tool, towel, tail light, and chain oil (among others). The rain gear was still in the package. Even my back-pack, the thing I would interact with every second of my rides, arrived only the day before we left.

There were a few things that I brought that I didn't need, including a bicycle computer, water purifying tablets (too many) and an extra towel. Though my partner generally went along with my choices, even those that would affect her (namely the tent), she put her foot down on one item -- a camera. I did not want to carry the 120g for the camera, the 70g for the charger and the 45g for the adapter, nor did I want to take up the extra 500ml. This didn't garner me any sympathy. Something about memories and sharing with others. We split the difference -- I carried the charger and adapter, she carried the camera.

My partner also carried items I had planned to carry. Maps. I have no patience for getting lost, so she took them from my control. Wise move, but unfair to her. This added up to over 200g at times, though we sent maps back to the US as soon as we were done with them. Note that the plasticized, water-resistant 1,5km:1cm Michelin maps, which are very hardy, weigh 95g; the old 2cm:1km paper maps weigh 85g (sometimes 45g for smaller ones) but tear easily at the folds. Also, the plasticized maps do not fold as compactly.

My partner also carried the Gossamer Gear ground sheet. This was fairly heavy (77g), though compact (250ml). My big plan to triple my sleeping pad as a ground sheet, bike fender and pad was unworkable and downright stupid. She recognized this and quietly got the sheet anyway. Despite my best attempts, she insisted on carrying it. In future I would carry Gossamer Gear's smaller sheet (2,5 square meters v. 4,5 square meters), which is advertised at 46g. Despite a couple of tears from stiff stalks and rocks, these sheets are durable and keep one dry in even terrible conditions.

My base gear clothing kit included one Sheila Moon brimmed beanie hat (37g), one non-cycling Ex Officio short sleeve shirt (135g), one long-sleeved Patagonia Capilene 1 shirt (135g), one RainShield o2 rain jacket (140g), one pair of mittens (51g), one pair of Patagonia Capilene 1 long-johns (141g), one pair of Rainshield o2 rain pants (114g) and one pair of micro-fiber Wright Sock socks (29g). Besides the Ex Officio shirt, which was for leisure and cold nights, these 782g of clothes were my back-up plan.

My non-base gear clothing kit -- that is to say the clothing that I wore -- was also light. I had a Giro Prolight helmet (195g), Castelli Rosso Corsa shorts (145g), gloves (33g) and Ultraleggera jersey (96g), a pair of Nike tennis shorts (175g), and a pair of Vivo Barefoot shoes (215g). I washed the cycling shorts & jersey every couple of days (it's not as gross as it sounds), the rest every 15 days or so. All told, this added up to 859g on my body.