2011-10-27

review: Token saddlepost clamp


Between 2011 July and 2011 September, my partner and I did a 3 300km bicycle tour of southern France. The below is a review of a product that we used during that tour.

Token is a sort of middle-end broker of fairly lightweight parts.  They occasionally have a very light item such as this saddlepost clamp, which weighs 8g. Unfortunately, middle-end quality is not compatible with exceptionally light parts. The manufacturer's sense of 31,8mm is far different from the SI standard -- more like 32,5mm. I had to use four layers of aluminum can to get this clamp to work. I snapped the head off of the titanium bolt before getting this far, though (which prompted me to buy a torque wrench; this bolt is supposed to be tightened to no more than a measly 5Nm). Titanium bolts will stretch and stretch until they snap. Lesson learned. 

The threading on this clamp is not typical of bicycles, so I replaced the ti bolt with whatever I could find. Which was a Phillips-head screw that, like all Phillips-head screws, soon stripped at the head. I took an extra (23g) clamp with me to France in case I wouldn't be able to re-tighten this clamp sufficiently when we re-assembled our bikes at the airport. It became immediately clear that this would be the case. I put on the old clamp and sent the Token back to the US. 

My girlfriend's bike has the silver version of this clamp. I put a steel bolt on hers. I hadn't shimmed it enough, though, so on bumpy ground her post slipped. 

By the time one is done shimming this clamp and putting in a steel screw or bolt, it weighs 13g. I doubt 5Nm is enough to hold a saddlepost that is used on anything but smooth asphalt. There are other clamps in the 8g - 11g range, such as those by ExtraLite and KCNC, that work without shims and with bolts able to handle higher loads. I would spend a few more dollars to get one of those clamps in future.