2011-10-22

review: HCC Medical Insurance Services travel insurance


Between 2011 July and 2011 September, my partner and I did a 3 300km bicycle tour of southern France. The below is a review of a product that we used during that tour.

As with the insurance industry in general, the travel insurance industry is pock-marked with charlatans, obfuscations and lies. Possibly more so, if that is possible. But I was losing my health insurance, such as it was, and my partner had only crappy insurance she paid for herself. So I went to insuremytrip.com and used their handy finder tool to assist me in hoping for the best. I have only slight faith that the insurance would have been of any use if I needed it, but I'm always happy to play the test case to hold an insurance company's toes to the fire.

We decided on Atlas International, some division or other of HCC Medical Insurance Services. Note that this is not Atlas Travel Insurance, which is most definitely a company of charlatans, obfuscations and lies. For 220USD each, Atlas International guaranteed 1 000 000USD for medical (including dental), 5 000USD for interrupted travel, 500 000USD evacuation, 0USD deductible, 50 000USD accidental death, 15 000USD pre-existing.

I never got to find out how slippery Atlas International is so I can't complain or commend. May all travelers be so lucky.