2011-10-15

review: dictionary


Between 2011 July and 2011 September, my partner and I did a 3 300km bicycle tour of southern France. The below is a review of a product that we used during that tour.

Henri-Cousin, Pierre. Collins Gem French-English/English-French Dictionary. London: Collins Gem, 1980.  Though this guy has "over 50 000 references," you're not going to find "e-mail" (courriel, in case you're wondering) or friend used as a verb. The paper they used in this dictionary would be best measured in micrometers, but I have never ripped a page on it. This paper makes it very light (141g) and compact (210ml), though I would prefer 30 000 references and less weight and volume. The thin paper also makes it difficult to peruse with any speed. It is not the dictionary you want if you will be scrambling for words mid-conversation.

I've had this dictionary since 7th grade French, way back in 1983. The binding was already partially separated when we left, a problem that worsened as the vicissitudes of being in a rear pocket took their toll. When the binding completely separated 20 or so days into the trip, I repaired it using the duct tape in my kit. From there it held without complaint.

This trip was probably the last act for this dictionary. In future I will save weight and space by having a wi-fi enabled electronic device that will have a camera and mapping and dictionary software, probably with even more references than this dictionary and that will be quicker to access, mid-conversation or no.