2011-10-22

review: SKS tire levers


Between 2011 July and 2011 September, my partner and I did a 3 300km bicycle tour of southern France. The below is a review of a product that we used during that tour.

The day my front tube split down the middle, it was already on its third flat for the day. I had brought along a couple of levers from the Pedro's ICM tool I have. They were compact and light. And they didn't work for crap. The 2nd flat for the day was actually caused by one of the levers pinching the tube while I levered it back on. OK. My fault. But the lever design wasn't helping anything. 

When that tube failed, it caused a cascade of events that delayed us for two days. I had sent my back-up tube to the US a few days before my tube split. To save weight and space.  In a rural place. Hahahaha. So we had to wait for a bus from the place of the flat, Chaudes-Aigues, to the place of the new tube, Saint Flour. There, at Cantal Cycles, I got a new tube and the SKS levers. The levers are slim, light (21g) and they have a clever mold that keeps them together. And they work magnificently. 

What Aesop would say: it's great to save weight and space and all, but take stuff that works.