2011-10-15

review: Light My Fire 10ml spoon/fork/knife

Between 2011 July and 2011 September, my partner and I did a 3 300km bicycle tour of southern France. The below is a review of a product that we used during that tour.



Lexan is one of those unbreakable materials. Except it's not. Both my partner and I took at Light My Fire spoon/fork/knife (LMF s/f/k). She lost hers around 65 days into the trip, I broke mine the next day. This seemingly unfortunate double whammy was actually good: we could eat non-spoon-essential items at the same time. I don't know why mine broke. Presumably it got smooshed or took a sharp hit, but I don't remember anything of that sort. One day I was slurping away with it, the next it had a broken neck. 

This thing's first function -- light weight -- is top of the line: 10g. That is as light as it gets for an s/f/k. The other functions vary in utility, depending on personal preference. 

Spoon: the spoon holds 10ml of liquid. It will hold as much as 20ml of solids. This is close to being enough for a good size bite, but my big mouth prefers 15ml spoons for just about everything, so 10ml was a mildly frustrating size.  

Fork: The fork tines work well enough. They're a bit wide, but I think this is necessary to buttress them from the forces forks must survive. Their width had no particular consequence other than making the fork a little clumsier to use.

Knife: I generally used the bread knife on my multi-tool for cutting, but occasionally I used the serrated edge of the LMF. I had read that this edge is a weak spot of the LMF s/f/k, so I took care. It worked surprisingly well. I was using it more and more before the neck snapped. I continued to use it, but with an example of the limits of Lexan, I was more circumspect. 

In future, I might swallow the extra 7g and get the titanium version of this s/f/k. I still have two more Lexan models, though, so perhaps it will never come to that.